National youth service corps (NYSC) is an obligatory one year programme set up by the Nigerian Government for Nigerian graduates from local and foreign-based universities and polytechnics who wish to work in Nigeria. NYSC online registration is required to participate in the scheme.
Eligibility for NYSC online registration
To participate in the one-year service prospective participants of the scheme must meet the eligibility criteria which include
- Graduation from an accredited institution of higher learning (University and polytechnics)
- The age at graduation should be less than 30 years. Graduates who are older than 30 years at graduation will be given a certificate of exemption which is equivalent to the NYSC discharge certificate.
- Graduates who have served in the military or paramilitary for more than one year are not eligible and will be given a certificate of exemption.
- Part-time graduates are also not eligible to participate in the scheme.
Requirements for NYSC online registration
The following are required for NYSC online registration.
- Functional email address and Nigerian mobile phone number (GSM)
- Jamb registration and matriculation number for locally trained graduates.
- The prospective corps member’s name should be on the Senate approved list.
- The prospective corps member’s biodata
- Passport photograph with white or off white background
- Name of two next of kin and their contact details
- Name of schools attended with dates
- The prospective corps member’s Shoe size and size of shirt and trousers
- Married female prospective corps members will also require their marriage certificate, newspaper evidence of change of name, their husband’s identity card and utility bill.
- Processing fee (payable online or in the bank)
Foreign-trained prospective corps members are required to provide the following for NYSC online registration
- First University degree certificate
- Complete official transcript of the first degree
- Marksheet for graduates from Indian Universities only
- O’level certificate that is WASC, GCE, SSCE, NECO IGCE, high school diploma for those that schooled in the USA and so on.
- Medical doctors, optometrists, Pharmacists, Nurses, and other health professionals are required to provide their certificate of registration and Practicing license from relevant bodies. Pharmacists are also required to provide an Oath and a letter of introduction from the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria.
How to check your name on the NYSC senate approved list
All prospective corps members’ names must be on the NYSC senate list for the completion of NYSC online registration. To check your name on the NYSC Senate List, please follow the steps below
- Visit NYSC Portal or NYSC approved senate list online
- Select your Tertiary Institution
- Enter your Matriculation Number and surname in the space provided
- Then fill in your Date of Birth
- Click the Search Button – it will load and display your details if available.
Is your name not on the NYSC senate list? what next?
If the NYSC senate list for your batch has been uploaded and your name is not on the list then do the following
- Cross-check your name on the jamb list for that batch.
- Confirm if you have mobilized for NYSC at your institution. If you have been mobilised proceed to the next step, otherwise, go to the student affairs department of your institution for mobilization.
- Confirm if your name is on the NYSC mobilization error list by checking at the student affairs department of your institution.
- If your name was on the error list, correct the error and check if your name has been added to the approved senate list.
- If your name is now on the list proceed with NYSC online registration.
NYSC online registration steps for Batch A, B and C
Below are the steps for batch A, B and C NYSC online registration for prospective corps members.
- Visit the NYSC portal
- Check your name on the jamb mobilization list.
- Enter your JAMB registration number and matriculation number.
- Enter your Biodata
- Upload your passport photograph
- Capture your thumbprint
- Make the required payment for your NYSC call-up letter
- Submit and print out your green card.
Compulsory requirements for NYSC orientation camp
The things required include the following:
- NYSC call up letter
- NYSC green card
- Statements of Result or degree certificate
- School Identity card
- Passport photograph with white background
- Medical certificate of fitness from a Government-owned hospital. This includes police and military hospitals.
- Prospective corps members who are medical Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists, Physiotherapists and Optometrists are expected to provide evidence of registration with their Professional Bodies.
- Prospective corps members who are medical Doctors are also expected to provide their current practising license.
- Foreign-trained graduates are expected to provide their international Passport for Identification and also their Transcript for verification.
Note: Failure to provide any of the above-listed compulsory items/documents will make the prospective corps member not eligible for admission into the NYSC orientation camp.
How to print your NYSC callup letter
The NYSC call up letter is printed from the NYSC official website after successfully completing your NYSC online registration.
To print your NYSC call up letter follow the steps below:
- Visit NYSC portal
- Navigate to the login button and click
- Login to your dashboard with your registered email and password.
- Click on print call up letter to print your call up letter.
Other Important items needed for NYSC orientation Camp
These items are optional but will make your stay in the NYSC orientation camp less stressful.
The items include the following:
- The prospective corps member’s Account details and Bank Verification Number (BVN) for easy payment of allowances
- Some cash and ATM card
- A pair of white tennis shoes
- Bedsheets, pillowcases and blankets
- Dish set
- Flashlight and rechargeable lamps
- Hand sanitisers
- Power bank for your phone
- Rubber/Dunlop slippers
- Toiletries and towel
- Mosquito treated nets
- Waist pouch/bag
- White shots, white round neck T-shirts and white stocks
- Take adequate medical supplies if you are on any daily medication.
Note: The above list is not exhaustive. Prospective corps members are advised to bring personal items needed for their comfort in the NYSC orientation camp.
List of items prohibited in NYSC orientation camp
Some items are prohibited in the NYSC orientation camp. Prospective corps members should avoid these items as there will be confiscated and may lead to disciplinary action.
The list of prohibited items include
- Electrical appliances such as electric iron, boilers and so on.
- recreational drugs/ drugs of abuse
Note: Any item not mentioned above that can be used to cause harm to other people or potentially lead to the destruction of NYSC orientation camp facilities will be confiscated.
For comments or questions about NYSC online registration and related issues use the comment section or visit the NYSC website.