Are you a Nigerian-trained doctor? Do you want to work in Kuwait as a Nigerian-trained doctor? This article will shed light on the requirements and how to work in Kuwait as a Nigerian-trained doctor.
Note: This article also applies to foreign-trained dentists, nurses and allied health workers who intend to practice in the state of Kuwait.
To work in Kuwait as a doctor, dentist, nurse, midwife or allied health worker, you will need to obtain the relevant practice licence from the Kuwait ministry of health.
Required documents to obtain Kuwait medical practice licence
Nigerian-trained doctors and other non-Kuwait-trained doctors will need the following documents to apply for Kuwait medical practice licence.
- Application letter for Kuwait medical practice licence addressed to Kuwait ministry of health.
- Applicant’s curriculum Vitae, which should include the applicant’s qualifications and relevant work history.
- Applicant’s professional certificates/degrees. This includes Bachelor’s degree (MBBS), Bachelor’s transcript, internship certificate and postgraduate degree.
- Certificate of experience from the hospitals/institutions the applicant has worked with. This should include the participant’s clinical and non-clinical experience in chronological order post-graduation.
- Applicant’s medical practice licence from the country where the applicant was working.
- Applicant’s international passport with at least two years validity.
- Recommendation letter from three individuals from your previous place of work.
- Applicant’s passport photograph.
- EPIC ID. The applicant can start the application process, without the EPIC ID, however, before the process is completed the applicant’s qualifications will be verified by EPIC.
Work in Kuwait as a Nigerian-trained doctor
To work in Kuwait as a Nigerian-trained doctor, the applicant will need to obtain a medical practice licence from the Ministry of the health of Kuwait before they can practice medicine in the state of Kuwait.
Non-Kuwait-trained doctors who intend to practice in Kuwait need to obtain the required documents for Kuwait medical practice licensure. After getting the required documents, the Applicant should submit the documents to the Kuwait ministry of health via courier or email.
The ministry reviews the submitted documents and the applicant’s qualifications are sent to the Kuwait Ministry of Higher Education for review after that the applicant’s application is presented to the speciality committee for a personal interview.
The personal interview is usually online since the applicant is not domiciled in Kuwait. Successful applicants will have their application presented to the Kuwait Medical licence Committee for issuing of primary approval, temporary licence and residency permit in the work location.
After payment of the required fees, the permanent licence is issued and it is valid for two years. In addition, the applicant must pass a medical check-up at a designated medical facility before they can travel to Kuwait.
Having gotten a Kuwait medical practice licence, the applicant can now apply for medical jobs in Kuwait. Once suitable employment is secured, the applicant will get a working visa and work permit.
To work in Kuwait as a Nigerian-trained doctor is achievable once all the required documents are obtained and submitted. Good luck.