Visa which stands for Visitors International Stay Admission, is one of the most vital documents for international travel. The documents required for a UK visa application may vary depending on the type of UK visa you are applying for.
Documents Required for a UK Visa Application
The following are UK visa application requirements.
- UK visa application form: The UK visa application form can be accessed and filled out manually or online.
2. Two passport photographs: The photographs should be coloured and taken within the past six months.
3. Valid international passport: The international passport must have a blank page for the Visa and must be valid for at least three months beyond the date you intend to leave the UK.
4. Proof of Funds/Means of Subsistence: One of the documents required for a UK visa application is your bank statements or payslips for the past six months. The aim is to verify that you have the financial capacity to pay your bills during your stay in the UK.
5. Proof of UK visa payment: Evidence of UK visa fee payment is one of the documents required for a UK visa application, thus should be submitted with other documents.
6. Invitation letter: This applies to people visiting the UK on an invitation, however, their host must be a UK citizen or legal resident otherwise the applicant will be denied visa.
7. Travel itinerary: This is a document stating in detail what you will be doing in the UK and where you will be visiting and when.
8. Medical test results: People living in tuberculosis-endemic countries will need to submit tuberculosis test results as one of the documents required for a UK visa application. The tuberculosis test result needs to be negative to be granted UK visa and is only valid for six months.
9. Biometric Data: Depending on your intended duration of stay in the UK. You will need to submit your biometric data at the designated biometric capturing centre if you intend to stay beyond six months in the UK.
10. Employment documents: A letter from your employer, stating your employment status, position, pay grade and leave of absence or permission to travel is one of the documents required for a UK visa application.
For self-employed uk visa applicants or business owners, they will provide a business document stating the name of the business and the date the business became operational.
Uk visa applicants who are still in school (students) will provide a letter stating their admission or enrolment status and leave of absence or permission to travel.
11. Age and birth-related documents: Minors will need their birth certificate submitted. Also, adoption papers will be needed if the child was adopted.
Minors who are travelling alone or accompanied by someone other than their parent or legal guardians will require a letter from the minor’s parents or legal guardian.
In addition, a copy of the parent’s or legal guardian’s international passport data page must be submitted.
12. Proof of accommodation. One of the documents required for a UK visa application is evidence of where you will be staying while in the UK.
The proof of accommodation may be a hotel reservation, a friend’s house, rental agreement/contract or letter from a tour operator or holiday tours.
The hotel reservation confirmation letter must contain the following information:
- Legal full name
- Entry and exit dates
- Hotel address
- Hotel contact details
- Valid hotel reservation code
UK Visa applicants are advised to make refundable hotel reservations to avoid loss of funds in case of a delay or visa rejection.
Alternatively, a dummy hotel reservation (hotel booking without payment) can be submitted for a UK visa application.
UK visa applicants who intend to stay with a friend or a relative in the UK must submit an invitation letter from the host which must contain the following details
- The legal name of the host,
- Duration of stay with the host with dates
- Address of the host
- Contact details of the host
- Signature of the host
- The number of rooms the host has and the number of people living with him
In addition, the host will need to submit a certificate of accommodation to the embassy to confirm that there is a spare suitable room to accommodate the UK Visa applicant.
A confirmation letter by an organized tour operator or holiday tour must contain the accommodation plan for the tour group and the following information in addition :
- Name of the place
- Telephone number & email
- Date of entry and exit
- Name in which the reservations were made
- The tour operator must be legal for the issued documents to be valid
The rental agreement or contract letter must contain the following information:
- Legal full name of the landlord
- The landlord’s contact details
- Address of the rented house, room, or apartment
- Duration of the rent with entry and exit date
- The document must be signed by both the landlord and applicant and the property must be properly registered with the appropriate authorities in the UK.
UK visa requirements may vary depending on the visa type, however, the requirements stated above are generalised and not specific to any UK visa type. Check whether you need a visa to visit the UK here.