How do I reset my Facebook account password?
Facebook users usually keep their devices logged into their Facebook account for ease of access, however on certain occasions they are mistakenly logged out, or they try to access their Facebook account via another device and discover that they have forgotten their Facebook password.
This article will explain how to change or reset my Facebook account password online and via the Facebook app.
How to reset my Facebook account password online
To reset my Facebook account password on PC or mobile devices online follow the methods below:
- If you are using a device you have used in recent times to access your Facebook account, Facebook might recognise the device and present your recent Facebook account login on your screen. Just click on it to log in to your account.
If you are using a new device the above method will not work. To reset my Facebook account password follow the steps below instead:
- Visit Facebook Find Your Account Page or from the Facebook login page click on forgot password.
- Enter your name or username, Email address and phone number associated with the Facebook account and then click on search.
- If Facebook finds a match you will be prompted to select how you want to receive your Facebook password reset code and then click on continue.
- If you entered only your name, Facebook will bring out matching results. You are expected to select This is my account or My account is not on this list.
- If you identified and selected your Facebook account, then you will be prompted to select how you want to receive your Facebook password reset code and then click on continue.
NOTE: If you don’t have the means to receive the code then you can not proceed further because Facebook cannot verify that you are the owner of the account. However, you can use alternative email and phone numbers or via google if you saved your password on your google browser.
- Enter the Facebook password reset code you received via the method you selected above and click on Continue.
- Enter the new password and click on continue
My account is not on this list. If your selected account is not on the list, then Facebook will ask for a friend’s name to identify your account.
How to reset my Facebook account password via app
If you access your Facebook via an app on a smartphone then follow the steps below to reset your Facebook account password.
Step 1. Visit the Facebook login page and tap forgot password.
Step 2. Enter your name, phone number and email address associated with the Facebook account.
Step 3. Select your prefered method of confirmation and tap on continue.
Step 4. Enter the Facebook password reset code.
Step 5. Select keep me logged in or Log me out of other devices and tap continue.
Step 6. Enter your new Facebook password and tap on continue.
How can I reset my Facebook account password without my phone number and Email?
Ideally, you need the email and phone number associated with your Facebook account to be able to reset your password, but when you cannot access any of the above then you can reset your Facebook account via the methods below.
Google password manager
If you saved your Facebook password on your google browser then you can recover it via the steps below:
Step 1. On your Andriod device go to settings.
Step 2. select manage google account.
Step 3. Navigate to and click on security
Step 4. Scroll down to password manager.
Step 5. Enter your phone log-in details, here you will see all saved passwords including Facebook, if the password is obscured, click on the eye icon.
Alternatively, you can recover your Facebook password saved on google via your google chrome browser via the steps below:
Step 1. Visit your google chrome browser
Step 2. On google chrome click the three-dot menu icon on the upper right border of your google screen.
Step 3. Navigate to Settings, and click on manage your google account.
Step 4. Navigate to security and click
Step 5. Scroll down and click on the password manager.
Step 6. Enter your phone log-in details, here you will see all saved passwords including Facebook, if the password is obscured, click on the eye icon.
How do I change my Facebook password?
To do a Facebook password change if know your password follow the steps below:
Step 1. Visit the Facebook login page.
Step 2. Scroll to the bottom of your Facebook page and tap on settings and privacy.
Step 3. Tap Change password.
Step 4. Enter your current and the new password, confirm the new password and tap save changes.
Frequently asked questions
- Can Facebook send me my Facebook account password without resetting it? Facebook will not be able to send you a copy of your password without resetting it.
- Can I reset my Facebook account password without the email or phone number associated with the account? Yes, you can attempt to log in using an alternate email or phone number to log in. Also if you store your Facebook password on google chrome, you can recover it via google.
Read also: How to open a new Facebook account.