Do you know how to calibrate a blood pressure monitor? A number of adults and sometimes paediatric patients have the need for regular blood pressure measurements.
In certain cases, these blood pressure measurements are done at home or in the clinic to detect abnormal blood pressure readings.
These blood pressure monitors have to be regularly calibrated about once a year in order to ensure accurate blood pressure measurements.
Table of Contents
How to Measure Blood Pressure Correctly at Home
Most patients living with blood pressure-related medical problems will need to regularly measure their blood pressure at home in addition to hospital blood pressure measurements.
Apparently healthy individuals will also need to check their blood pressure at home or in the hospital at least twice a year.
Most home blood pressure measurements are done with automated blood pressure devices which are relatively easy to use.
To measure blood pressure at home correctly follow the steps below:
- Avoid exercise or any stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol or tobacco at least 30 minutes before blood pressure measurement.
- Rest for 5 minutes, before blood pressure measurement.
- Sit in a comfortable chair with a backrest. Your fit should be on the floor.
- Put the blood pressure cuff on the upper arm, with the bladder of the cuff lying in front of the forearm, about 1 to 2cm above the elbow joint.
- The upper arm cuff must be placed at the same horizontal level as the heart.
- Start the blood pressure monitor and the blood pressure measurement will commence, the final reading will be displayed on the screen of the device. A normal blood pressure reading should be 120/80mmHg.
- If you get abnormal blood pressure readings, please consult your healthcare provider.
Ways to Calibrate a Blood Pressure Monitor
There are different ways to calibrate a blood pressure monitor. The preferred method will depend on the available resources.
You can calibrate your blood pressure device by simply comparing the blood pressure readings with that of a mercury blood pressure device to see if the readings are variable or the same. This is usually done by your doctor to ensure the accuracy of home blood pressure measurements.
The mercury blood pressure device has been tested over the years and found to be accurate, however, its use in recent times is decreasing because of potential contamination of the environment and the neurotoxic effects of mercury.
Blood pressure devices can be sent to manufacturers or blood pressure calibrating companies to calibrate your blood pressure device, however, this will cost some service charge except when the device still has a valid warranty.
You can also make use of blood pressure calibration kit to recalibrate your blood pressure device.
List of Clinically Validated and FDA approved Blood pressure Monitors
Individuals who want to purchase blood pressure devices can consult their doctors for guidance, however, below are some of the clinically validated Blood pressure devices.
- Beurer BM 67 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
- FORA Test N’GO Wireless Bluetooth Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
- Greater Goods Bluetooth Blood Pressure Monitor Kit
How to use Omron Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Having met the conditions stated above on “how to measure blood pressure correctly”. Make sure the blood pressure device battery has been correctly put in place, usually at the base of the device.
Connect the cuff to the device, and then apply the cuff to the upper arm as stated above on “how to measure blood pressure correctly”.
Place the cuffed forearm at the same level as the heart and press start. Avoid talking or moving when measuring your blood pressure because this will affect your blood pressure reading.
Remove the cuff and the device battery after the blood pressure measurement. Remember to calibrate the blood pressure monitor at least once a year.
Many people are living with abnormally raised blood pressure globally. Most of these individuals need to regularly monitor their blood pressure at home and clinic. To ensure accurate blood pressure monitoring there is a need to calibrate a blood pressure monitor at least once a year.
Explore How to lose weight naturally