Caregiver Jobs in the UK are rapidly on the rise which makes it a good pathway for interested and capable foreigners to secure employment in the UK.
Caregivers are individuals who offer skilled and unskilled support/ assistance/care to a person in need of care aimed at improving their lives by attending to their specific day-to-day needs.
Caregiver Jobs in the UK are also called Care Assistant, Care Worker, Carer, Home Care Assistant, Home care and support worker.
Caregivers generally do not specialize in any field of healthcare services, however, there are trained to provide physical and emotional support to their clients.
Duties of a Caregiver
Before applying for caregiver Jobs in the UK the applicant should acquaint themselves with the duties of a caregiver. The duties of a caregiver are not limited to the following but usually include:
- Personal care to clients includes assisting them with washing, eating, dressing, ambulation, etc.
- Assisting clients with daily activities such as shopping, cooking, house chores etc.
- Providing companionship and emotional support to clients.
- Trained and certified caregivers can also carry out basic medical tasks such as administering prescribed medication and measuring blood pressure readings and blood glucose levels.
Some online certificate courses are available for care workers on medication administration. Click here for more details. Read also How to get Caregiver Job and live in the USA
Requirements to become a caregiver/worker
A caregiver job is not a specialized area thus no specific qualification is needed. However, many employers will require at least basic education such as GCSE or equivalent.
The caregiver/worker should be able to demonstrate that they have the necessary skill and capacity for the job.
Caregivers/workers interested in a specific area of social care may need to acquire additional training/certifications.
In addition to the above, a caregiver needs a great deal of emotional stability, good communication skills and the ability to manage difficult situations and behaviours.
Note caregivers/ workers have opportunities for career progression via further training, certification and specialization while working in the UK.
You do not need to be a healthcare professional to secure caregiver Jobs in the UK, however, nurses and other health professionals can enter the UK as care workers while processing the requirements to work in the area of specialization.
Explore How to get high-paying nursing jobs in Kuwait.
Where can Caregivers Work
A variety of caregiver Jobs in the UK are available and include the following:
- Residential care workers. They provide institutionalized care and support for clients who live in care homes.
- Home care workers, this category of caregivers provide care and support to clients who live in their homes.
- Daycare workers are caregivers who provide care and support to people in need of care in daycare services. This usually involves caring for elderly people, people with disabilities and children.
- Live-in caregivers live with clients in need of care and support and offer these services while living with the client. There are also caregivers who offer support and care to clients at their homes during a defined period of hours daily. This does not require the caregiver to live in.
- Nursing homes. Foreign-trained nurses who have not met the requirements to work in the UK can work as care workers in nursing homes while processing their documents.
Explore How to study nursing in the UK with a full scholarship
How to get caregiver Jobs in the UK
The best way to secure caregiver Jobs in the UK is to apply online through any UK- Government approved organization that offers sponsorship and recruitment to foreign workers.
Some sponsorship organizations where you can apply for caregiver Jobs in the UK include the following:
Most employers will train you before you start working with them. However, acquiring care training/certification increases the chances of getting caregiver Jobs in the UK.
Explore Requirements for Nigerian-trained nurses to live and work in the UK
Requirements to migrate to the UK as a Caregiver
The following documents are required to migrate to the UK as a caregiver/worker.
- Employment letter from a UK government-approved sponsor showing the job title and annual salary.
- Certificate of sponsorship(COS) which is a document that legally permits you to work in the UK.
- Proof of your knowledge of English – IELTS score of 4.0 or degree taught in the English language.
- A valid international passport
- Proof of relationship with first-degree relatives such as partner and or children.
- Medical fitness certificate with requested laboratory investigation results.
- A criminal record certificate (Police report). Applicants with criminal records will not likely be allowed entry into the UK.
- A UK care worker Visa is formally called a UK health and Care Visa. To apply for this visa you must have secured employment in the UK. And your employer must have applied and obtained a certificate of sponsorship(COS) which permits you to work in the UK.
Explore Requirements for Non-UK trained nurses to work in the UK