What are the France visa application requirements? France is a country located in Western Europe and is a global destination for travellers.
France attracts a significant number of tourists annually because of its beautiful landscape, rich culture and history. Aside from tourism people commonly visit France for, vacation, medical service, education and work.
There are different types of France Schengen Visa you can apply for depending on the purpose of your travel to France.
Types of France Visas
- French Airport Transit Visa. This is required by passengers who need to make a stop at any of the France airports en route to non-Schengen territories
- French tourist visa (Visitor Visa). This applies to people visiting France for vacation, tourism or to see friends and family members.
- France Business Visa: This type of French visa is required by people visiting France for business-related activities.
- France Medical Visa: Foreign nationals visiting France for medical reasons will need to apply for France Medical Visa.
- France Study Visa (student visa): This type of visa are required by students entering France for education purposes.
- France Visa for Sports and Culture: Travellers entering France for sports and culture-related activity will require France Visa for sports and culture.
- French Long Stays National Visa: If you intend to stay in France for more than 90 days within a 180 days period, then you need to apply for France long-stay national visa. Other types of French visas discussed above are short-stay French visas.
Note: Foreigners who travel to the Schengen territory can stay for up to 90 days within any 180 days (90/180-day rule). This rule is often misunderstood with many foreigners overstaying, resulting in penalties. Thus it is important to understand how the 90/180-day rule works.
Following exhaustion of the permitted period of stay in France, there is also room to extend your visa while in France, provided there is a cogent reason for the France visa extension.
France Visa Application Requirements
Members of the Schengen Zone (EU nationals), only require identification documents to travel throughout the Schengen territory.
However, non-member foreign nationals require France Visa application requirements and a Visa to be eligible to enter France or any of the Schengen territories.
The following are the France Schengen visa application requirements
- International Passport: France visa application requirements include a valid international passport with at least 3 months validity from your planned departure date from France. Also, the passport must not be more than 10 years old.
- Cover letter: This is a letter stating the purpose of your visit to France and the places you plan to visit during your stay in France
- French Visa Application Form: France Visa requirements include filling out the French visa application form online, and then printing and signing the document.
- Previous Visas: Copies of your previous Visas to France and other countries are required for French visa application.
- Proof of Funds/Means of Subsistence: France Visa application requirements include evidence of proof of sufficient funds to pay your bills during your stay in France.
Proof of ability to pay 120€ per day without evidence of prepaid accommodation in France or 65€ per day with evidence of prepaid accommodation is required.
- Flight Ticket: Depending on your reason for visiting France, you may need a round-trip flight reservation as part of the France visa application requirements.
- Passport Photograph. France visa requirements include two recent identical coloured passport photographs measuring 35 x 45 mm.
- Proof of Accommodation: Your need to provide evidence of hotel accommodation or an invitation letter if you intend to stay with a friend or family member in France. This is needed to cover your intended duration of stay.
- Proof of Civil Status. France visa application requirements include evidence of ties to your home country such as a Marriage certificate and or birth certificate of children.
- Employment Status: Employed France visa applicants will need an employment letter, recent bank statement for the past six months, leave permission from the employer and income tax return form or certificate as part of the France visa requirements.
Self-employed French visa applicants will require a self-employed copy of the business licence, company bank statement for the past 6 months/ proof of income generated from a property for the past 6 months and income tax return or certificate.
French visa applicants who are still students will require a school admission letter and permission letter to travel if in the academic session.
- Your children/Minor’s Documents: France visa applicants who intend to travel with children less than 18 years of age will require the birth certificate of the minor, a France application form signed by both parents and certified copies of the ID or passports of both parents.
A court order is part of the France Visa application requirements in divorce cases where one of the parents has full custody of the child. In shared custody cases a France application form signed by both parents is required.
Minors travelling alone will require a notarized parental authorization to France signed by both parents/guardians as part of the France visa requirement.
How to Apply for a French Visa
To apply for a French visa follow the steps below:
Step 1. Choose the type of French visa you need depending on your reason for entry
Step 2. Fill out the France visa application form online
Step 3. Collect the France visa application requirements
Step 4. Schedule a French visa interview appointment online
Step 5. Pay your French visa fees online or at the designated Visa admission centre
Step 6. Attend the interview (France visa appointment) at the appropriate Visa admission centre in your country and submit biometrics
The authorised body responsible for visa admission in your country may be any of the following :
- French Embassy
- French Consulate
- Embassy/Consulate of another Schengen country to which France have outsourced visa submission
- Visa application centre which France has outsourced visa submission.
Step 7. Wait to be notified that your passport is ready for collection.
How long is the France Visa processing time?
The French visa processing time is between 15 to 60 days. Thus French visa applicants are advised to apply for their French visa some weeks before their intended date of travel to France.
How much is the French visa application fee
The cost for a French visa varies depending on your age, nationality and other factors. for more information about the French visa fee click here.
Note: France’s border offices take the final decision as it regards entrance to France and the Schengen area. Explore Canadian Visa Application Requirements